Google's I'm Feeling Lucky Button

I'm Feeling Lucky T-shirtWe see it every time we go onto Google, but how many of us actually use it? The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button is found at the side of the "Google Search" button, although I really hope you already knew that.

The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button takes users directly to the top search result; I'm Feeling Lucky is handy if you're sure that the first result in the search engine is going to be the page you want. For example if you typed in Tesco’s, it will take you to Tesco.com, and if you typed in Facebook, that’s where you would go.

Google cofounder Sergey Brin told public radio's Marketplace that around one percent of all Google searches goes through the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. This means that 1% of Google’s traffic doesn't get to see Google's advertisements, which costs the company roughly $110 million each year, which is about £67 million.

Google exec Marissa Mayer explained the reason for keeping such an expensive button:
"It's possible to become too dry, too corporate, too much about making money. I think what's delightful about 'I'm Feeling Lucky' is that it reminds you there are real people here."

Well I think that the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button would be more popular if people actually knew what it meant, or if there was a shortcut key for it... In fact, who actually uses the "Google Search" button, or just presses ↵ on their keyboard?

0 comments:

Post a Comment