'I participated in student films at the rate of Rs 30 per day'


A scene from Kaminey
'I participated in student films at the rate of Rs 30 per day'

Tell us about yourself.

I was born in Mumbai. During my schooling years, I was adjudged as a good painter. My art teacher, Nikumb, whose name I gave Aamir's character in Taare Zameen Par, was fabulous

My parents exposed me to Marathi Natya Sangeet. And I had the fortune of learning drama from Mahendra Joshi in college.

After that, I joined FTII in Pune and spent eight years there. I acted in the cult film, N C Thade's diploma film Chakar Chandu Ka Chameli Wala in 1982. It won a National Award that year.

After that, I hung out at the campus to absorb cinema. I participated in student films, working as a writer, painter, actor, musician and music composer at the rate of Rs 30 per day.

Didn't your parents feel you were wasting your time?

No. They understood because they were very interested in art. My father was a software consultant. He was away most of the time but he gave me the best literature and exposure to art. My brother lives in Hong Kong now, and is a finance director of the world's largest shipping corp.

I'm married to the superbly talented film editor and documentary maker Deepa Bhatia. We have an eight year old son Partho.

Image: A scene from Kaminey
Source : Rediff.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment